Forums

Forum Home > Iraqi League 2012-13 > Al Shorta vs. Karbalaa

al shorta love

Match Previews - Al Shorta vs. Karbalaa

Date: 24/07/2013

Time: 14:00 G.M.T.

Venue: Al Shorta Stadium

Al Shorta will face Karbalaa at Al Shorta Stadium in the 29th round of the Iraqi League on Wednesday.

Al Shorta are currently top of the Iraqi League with 57 points, three points ahead of second-placed Al Zawraa and seven points ahead of Erbil who have three games in hand over the Police. Karbalaa are currently 13th in the league, a point ahead of Al Talaba having played three games less and a point behind Al Masafi having played two games less.

Al Shorta will be missing Waleed Salem for Wednesday's game after it was announced that he was suffering from internal bleeding in the kidney and is now in hospital recovering.

Al Shorta's last game was a comfortable 2-0 victory over Naft Al Junoob with goals from Muslem Mubarak and Muhammed Faisel. Karbalaa's last match was a 1-0 victory over Al Masafi, with an injury-time winner from Haider Jabar sealing the game for his team. The last time Al Shorta played Karbalaa in the Iraqi League, Al Shorta ended as the victors with a 1-0 win due to Hussein Kareem's early goal. From the last nine competitive matches between these two sides, Al Shorta have won five of them, Karbalaa have won three of them and there have been two draws.

Al Shorta's top scorer is Amjad Kalaf with eight goals, whereas Karbalaa's top scorer, Husain Farhoud, has bagged nine goals this season. Husain Farhoud is Karbalaa's main threat, having scored almost 30% of Karbalaa's goals this season. Amjad Kalaf has scored just over 16% of Al Shorta's goals, showing that Al Shorta lack a real star striker and that is what Al Shorta will be looking for once the transfer window re-opens.

Al Shorta have the best defensive record in the league having conceded just 21 goals all season but they may have trouble handling Husain Farhoud. At times, Al Shorta's full-backs push too far up leaving space behind them on the flanks which Karbalaa can exploit to feed their main man Farhoud and he could score from that. Al Shorta have done quite well recently in avoiding such a situation and must do so again to have a better chance of stopping the opposition's key threat. Al Shorta's defence has become a lot less composed when they are being attacked; they have conceded three penalties in their last five league matches. This is a terrible thing that must be avoided because recently it has gifted teams goals and taken away vital points from the Police.

Husain Farhoud isn't Karbalaa's only threat in attack, with their last fourteen goals having come from eleven different players. This means that Al Shorta's defence will have to be at the top of their game; it is very likely that they will be worked harder than they were on Monday against Naft Al Junoob. Karbalaa's defence will also have to work very hard as Al Shorta have many attacking threats in Minusu Buba, Muslem Mubarak, Amjad Kalaf, Nashat Akram and Hussein Kareem. It is unlikely that all five will play, but it will mean that whoever Karbalaa's defence come up against, they will have to be at their best to prevent them from scoring. Al Shorta also have the better midfield, but that doesn't mean that the likes of former Al Shorta players Jabir Shakir and Imad Ghali won't be able to score or assist. It is set to be a very interesting game, and one that Al Shorta will be the favourites for.

If Al Shorta win this game, they will remain at the top of the table and could even increase their lead at the summit depending on the results of the teams around them. However, if they lose, they will be in a very uncomfortable position and could even be pushed down the table. If Karbalaa win, they could move up to 11th but if they lose, they could see themselves in the relegation zone. Neither side will be happy with a draw as that allows teams around them to gain points on them or even overtake them.

Hopefully Al Shorta can avoid defeat and remain at the top of the table. Will this be the case? Only time can tell.

July 22, 2013 at 6:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

golarisman
Site Owner

Thank you for posting this! We will win this match, I am sure of it :D

I love shorta! This is our year for the league title

July 22, 2013 at 11:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

al shorta love

We will win 3 goals :)

Trophy us

--

July 22, 2013 at 12:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

golarisman
Site Owner

I hope you are right! We deserve the trophy this year, we play the best football out of all the teams.

July 22, 2013 at 4:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

hashao

I think it will be 4-0

July 22, 2013 at 4:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

golarisman
Site Owner

http://alshortatv.webs.com/apps/videos/videos/show/18084778-al-shorta-3-2-karbalaa-highlights-of-the-last-15-minutes

This is the only highlights I can find for the Karbalaa match

This video only shows the last 2 goals of Nashat and Hussein Karim

I cannot find the rest of the goals for the match

Nobody has uploaded highlights for a number of weeks now for a reason I'm not sure

July 26, 2013 at 10:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.